Baked Potato with Broccoli Cheese Sauce Recipe
Baked potatoes aren’t usually my first choice for a side-dish but when you top them with a broccoli cheese sauce they are amazing! The potatoes are baked in the oven and then loaded with a prepared broccoli and cheese sauce. The sauce is a simple combination of butter, flour, milk, cheddar cheese, broccoli florets, and spices. The broccoli can be cooked any way that you like. I cooked the broccoli in the microwave with a little bit of water and drained the water when it was finished cooking. You can also cook the broccoli in the saucepan, covered, and with a little bit of water. These baked potatoes make a great side-dish. Enjoy!
Baked Potato with Broccoli Cheese Sauce
Yield: 3 Servings
- 3 medium russet potatoes (scrubbed and rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons butter (diced into 4 pieces)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup milk
- salt and ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup steam broccoli florets (chopped)
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Pierce each potato several times using a fork. Place the potatoes into the oven and bake until tender (about 45 minutes to 1 hour).
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic powder and flour and cook, whisking constantly for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow the mixture to cook, stirring constantly, until it is thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to warm and stir in the cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted and then stir in the steamed broccoli. Serve over the baked potatoes.
Adapted from Cooking Classy.