Chicken Artichoke Flatbread Recipe
This recipe is very similar to the chicken artichoke flatbread pizza at Outback Steakhouse. Flatbread is topped off with an artichoke spread, chicken, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese and then baked in the oven. Once the pizza has finished baking it is then topped with additional fresh spinach and shredded parmesan cheese. The chicken can be grilled, baked or pan fried—whichever you would prefer. The artichoke spread is very similar to spinach and artichoke dip and consists of ingredients such as fresh spinach, canned artichokes and cream cheese. You can use a package of frozen spinach that is thawed instead of the fresh if you would prefer. If you are looking for a great tasting dinner or appetizer to serve for football season, this recipe is perfect for you. Enjoy.
Chicken Artichoke Flatbread
Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 whole flatbreads
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 shallots (minced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 (15 ounce) can artichokes (drained)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 10 ounces fresh spinach (chopped)
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 ½ cups parmesan cheese
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Lightly grease the grates of an outdoor grill. Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Grill the chicken breast turning at least once for about 10 minutes per side or until the chicken is fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 Degrees F). When the chicken has cooled enough to handle, slice it into thin strips.
- Chop the canned artichokes. In a small sauce pan melt butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes until tender. Add the artichokes and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add the cream cheese and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook the mixture until the cream cheese melts and can be stirred easily. Add the spinach and cook for another minute just to heat through.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Top the flatbreads with a layer of the cream cheese spread, followed by even amounts of mozzarella and parmesan cheese and top with the grilled chicken.
- Place into the oven and bake for 8 minutes or until the flatbread is crisp and the cheese has melted. Top with additional parmesan and chopped spinach if desired.
Adapted from Olga’s Flavor Factory.