Chicken Wontons Recipe
A delicious Chinese fried appetizer is chicken wontons. This appetizer consists of a chicken and shrimp mixture that is stuffed into wonton wrappers and fried in hot oil. The wontons get a lot of flavor from sesame oil, fish sauce, white pepper and green onion. These wontons are delicious served alone or with a dipping sauce. The dipping sauce is a combination of sweet chili sauce, lime juice, cilantro and sesame seeds. I personally found that the wontons were so good they did not need a dipping sauce but if you want the extra flavor, it is very easy to prepare. Wrapping the wontons does require a little bit of work but it is well worth the effort. The chicken and shrimp for this recipe goes into the wonton wrappers raw. The hot oil will cook the chicken and shrimp while frying. Enjoy.
- 1/2lb ground chicken
- 1/4lb shrimp (chopped into small pieces)
- 1 green onion (sliced)
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 dash fish sauce (optional)
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 dashes ground white pepper
- 12 wonton wrappers
- water (for sealing)
- Oil (for deep frying)
- 3 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
- pinch of sesame seeds
- In a small bowl mix together sweet chili sauce, lime juice, cilantro and sesame seeds. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine ground chicken, shrimp, green onion and cornstarch until well combined. Add in salt, fish sauce, sesame oil and white pepper. Mix well. Set aside.
- Lay out a wonton wrapper onto a flat surface. Add about ½ tablespoons of the filling into the middle of the wrapper. Dip your finger into some water and wet the outer edges of the wrapper with the water. Fold the edges of the wonton wrapper up and seal the wonton so that there is not opening on the top and the wonton wrapper is securely enclosed. You do not want any openings in the wrapper or the oil will get in. Repeat with the remaining meat mixture and wonton wrappers.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 375 degrees F. Deep fry the wontons in batches until golden brown and fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F.). Drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Serve with the dipping sauce.
Adapted from Rasa Malaysia.