Chili Cheese Dog Grilled Cheese Recipe
If you enjoy chili cheese dogs you might want to try making a grilled cheese with the ingredients! The truth is fried hot dogs, chili and cheese go great on a grilled sandwich. The hot dogs are sliced in half and then fried in the pan. For the chili, you can use whatever your favorite brand is or even make your own. I used chili with beans. You will want to go sparingly on the chili, otherwise your sandwich may become too soggy. You can use the leftover chili to make chili cheese fries if you want. This recipe will make two sandwiches but you can easily double the ingredients (except for the chili) if you want to make four. A good additional to these sandwiches is caramelized onions. Serve with French fries on the side. Enjoy.
Chili Cheese Dog Grilled Cheese
Yield: 4 Servings
- 3 hot dogs (sliced in half lengthwise)
- 1 can of chili
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices of white bread
- butter (for spreading)
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add the hot dogs and cook until lightly browned on one side, flip and cook until lightly browned on the other side. Remove from the skillet.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat the chili until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Spread butter onto one side of each slice of bread. Top each bread slice with one slice of cheddar cheese and some of the sliced hot dogs, cut side down. Top with a little bit of the heated chili and an additional slice of cheddar cheese.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-low heat. Place sandwiches into the skillet butter side down. Spread butter on the top of each sandwich. Cook over medium-low heat for about 6-8 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown. Turn the sandwiches and cook for 5-6 minutes longer or golden brown and the cheese has melted.