Chinese Chicken with Snow Peas Recipe
Chinese chicken with snow peas is a great dinner to serve over rice. The chicken is first marinated and then breaded and baked in the oven instead of using the deep-fryer. The use of the broiler in this recipe helps to create a crispy coating on the chicken. The chicken is then mixed with a sauce that consists of part of the marinade, sugar and water. This recipe does require a little bit of work to prepare all of the ingredients but it is well worth it. A good option for a side dish is egg rolls. Enjoy!
Chicken with Snow Peas
Yield: 4 Servings
- 2-3lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup Chinese rice wine
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1-3 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- dash of pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs plus 2 tablespoons of water mixed together
- snow peas
- In a medium bowl combine soy sauce, rice wine, ½ cup water, sesame oil, sriracha, ½ teaspoon salt, garlic, fresh ginger, and a dash of pepper. Spoon ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons of the marinade into a freezer bag and add the chicken. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to overnight. Refrigerate the remaining marinade in a bowl.
- Place aluminum foil onto the bottom of a baking sheet. Add a cooking rack on top and spray the rack with cooking spray. In a large freezer bag combine flour, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, ground ginger, 1 teaspoon salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Dip the chicken pieces first in the egg and water mixture and then place them in the flour mixture. Shake until evenly coated.
- Place chicken onto the baking sheet and lightly spray the tops of the chicken with cooking spray. Place into the oven and bake at 375 degrees F. for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, move the baking tray to the top middle oven rack and broil until crispy, watching carefully to make sure that the chicken doesn’t burn (2-3 minutes or until the chicken is golden and crispy).
- While the chicken is baking, whisk 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with the reserved marinade. Set aside.
- Add water and sugar to a large skillet and boil over medium heat for about 1 minute. Do not boil for too long or it will harden. After 1 minute, add reserved marinade to the sugar and water mixture. Simmer the sauce until it thickens (about 1-2 minutes). Add the snow peas and simmer for 30 seconds more.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and allow it to cool slightly. Mix the sauce with the cooked chicken.
Adapted from Carls Bad Cravings.