How to Make Beef Pot Pie
If you want to know how to make beef pot pie, it is fairly simple to prepare. This recipe uses cubed beef, vegetables and a sauce made from ingredients such as beef broth and Guinness. The ingredients are first simmered on the stovetop and then placed into a pie shell and baked to perfection. You can really add whatever vegetables you like to this recipe such as mushrooms and corn. It does require a little bit of work to prep all of the vegetables. If you want to save time you can buy cubed stew meat from the store. This recipe will make 2 (9 inch) pot pies, if you only want to make one, cut the ingredients in half. If you don’t want to use the Guinness, you can substitute extra beef broth instead. Enjoy.
How to Make Beef Pot Pie
Yield: 8 Servings
- 2lbs beef chuck (cut into ½ inch cubes)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 stalks celery (diced)
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas and carrots
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ cups Guinness
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour (dissolved in water)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Handful of chopped fresh parsley
- 4 prepared pie crusts (1 for the bottom, 1 for the top of each pie)
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
- Season the beef pieces generously with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven or large pot add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the beef pieces in batches and brown on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and set them aside on a plate. Repeat with the remaining beef pieces.
- Add the diced onions to the same pot and saute for a couple of minutes until they turn soft and translucent. Add the garlic and sautee for 2 minutes with the onions. Add the chopped celery and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, thyme and rosemary. Add a tiny bit of salt. Return the beef to the pot along with any juices on the plate. Pour in Guinness and beef broth and bring to a boil. Add in brown sugar and the bay leaf and reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover and pot and let the stew cook for about an hour.
- After one hour, add the potatoes to the stew. Put the lid back on and simmer for another 30 minutes. Mix the flour with just enough cold water for it to dissolve. Bring the stew to a boil and slowly pour in the flour mixture while stirring. It will start to thicken right away.
- Turn the heat off, add the frozen peas and carrots and chopped fresh parsley. Preheat the oven according to package directions for the pie crust. Lightly grease 2 (9 inch) pie dishes. Press one crust onto the bottom and up the sides of each pie dish. Pour enough of the stew to almost fill each pie dish to the top of the crust. Top each pie dish with the second crust and crimp the sides to seal. Brush the egg mixture onto the top of each pot pie. Cut a few small slits in the top of each pie crust.
- Place into the oven and bake according to the package directions for the pie crust.
Adapted from Picture the recipe.