Manicotti with Meat Sauce Recipe
This is a recipe for manicotti with meat sauce that is baked in a casserole dish. The manicotti is stuffed with ricotta cheese, fresh oregano, and parmesan. The sauce is just a simple combination of ground beef, garlic, crushed tomatoes, and seasonings. The manicotti are topped off with a layer of shredded parmesan cheese. It is a little bit of work to stuff the cheese mixture into the manicotti shells but it is worth the effort. I like to serve this recipe with garlic bread. Enjoy.
Manicotti with Meat Sauce
- 1 8-oz package manicotti (cooked, drained and cooled)
- 1 lb ground beef
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 (24 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 18 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 lemon (zested)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a sauté pan over medium-high heat brown the ground beef while breaking up into chunks with a wooden spoon. Add 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Keep warm.
- In a large bowl combine ricotta cheese, eggs, lemon zest, oregano and 1 cup of parmesan cheese. Mix well. Spread a thin layer of the meat sauce onto the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Spoon the ricotta mixture into each manicotti tube and place into the casserole dish. Top with meat sauce and sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Place into the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes. Top with fresh oregano for serving.