The warmer weather is coming up soon and that means it’s time to fire up the grill again. A great way to start off the grilling season is with beer brats. These brats are cooked in beer and then placed onto the grill to finish cooking. A delicious slaw is also added to these brats. The slaw is mainly oil and vinegar based (no mayo) and really adds a nice flavor to these brats. Enjoy.
- 1lb green cabbage (shredded)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- Fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 4 bratwurst links
- 1 (12 ounces) bottle of beer
- In a large bowl combine sugar, salt, celery seed, oil, vinegar, and pepper. Add cabbage and stir to combine.
- Place the brats and beer into a large deep skillet and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the brats are fully cooked (about 20 minutes). Heat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Remove the brats from the beer and grill until browned on all sides.
- Place the brats into the hoagie rolls and add some of the slaws.