I had some extra flatbread on hand and was looking to put it to good use. I came across a recipe for chicken pesto pizza and thought I would give it a try. I really like the thin crust and the crispiness of the baked flatbread, it’s perfect for pizza. Basically, this pizza is topped with a pesto sauce, artichoke hearts, chicken and cheese. If you don’t want to use chicken, I would recommend trying shrimp. This recipe uses a pretty basic basil pesto consisting of ingredients such as basil, garlic, pine nuts and olive oil. There is nothing hard about this pizza recipe and if you are using pre-cooked chicken, it can be served within 30 minutes. Enjoy.
(Makes 6 servings)
- 1 flatbread pizza crust
- 2 cups chicken breast strips (cooked)
- 1 (6 ounces) jar artichoke hearts (drained)
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Basil Pesto Sauce-
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves (packed)
- 1 garlic cloves
- 1/8 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- To make basil pesto- Combine basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 1/3 cup of oil and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spread pesto sauce over the pizza crust evenly. Arrange chicken pieces and artichoke hearts over the sauce. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and flatbread is browned and crispy.