This French toast pumpkin bake makes a sweet and delicious side-dish to serve for the holidays. The best part about this casserole style dish is how easy it is to prepare—an egg and pumpkin puree mixture is poured over the bread slices in the baking dish and then baked to perfection. This French toast bake can either be prepared the night before and then baked in the morning or you can prepare it and cook it immediately for serving. This casserole is very filling so you should be able to feed several people with just one baking dish full. If you want to can serve this French toast pumpkin bake with syrup or just eat it as is. Enjoy.
(Makes 8 Servings)
- 8 pieces of whole grain bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- 7 eggs
- 2 cups milk (used almond)
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup of sugar
- Nuts for topping (optional)
- Powdered sugar for topping (optional)
- Grease a 3-quart casserole dish and put sliced bread cubes into the bottom of the dish. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, pumpkin puree, sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice and whisk until smooth. Pour over bread in the casserole dish, trying to spread evenly.
- Push down on the bread pieces lightly with a spoon or fork so that they are saturated by the mix. At this point, you can cover with the baking dish with a cover or plastic wrap and place it into the refrigerator overnight to bake in the morning or leave it uncovered and cook it now.
- Preheat oven to 350oF. Add nuts to the top of the dish and bake for 35-45 minutes. The bake will turn light brown when finished. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve alone or with syrup.