French toast recipe is a very old breakfast option. In the 4th or 5th century it was described as ‘aliter Dulcia’ which means ‘another sweet dish’. In the 17th century, the name of French toast was used in England.
In America, the name and recipe were carried by early settlers. In France, it is called ‘pain perdu’ which means lost bread, since the people used old bread for this recipe to make use of the bread.
There is one common way to make this dish but several different options to serve it. One can make this French toast with bread sliced freshly or can cut and keep it overnight so that the bread becomes hard and there will be less tendency to soak the egg.
Restaurants generally serve French toast with maple syrup, sugar, and butter. But if you are making it at home, you can serve it whatever toppings you want.
So, if you are planning to become a chef for breakfast, then here is the classic French toast recipe.
- 6 slice of bread, preferably thick cut
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk or cream
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Vanilla extract
- Butter and vegetable oil
- Crack two large eggs in a wide shallow bowl. This kind of bowl is good to dip the bread.
- Beat the egg with a fork or spoon.
- Add ¼ cup of milk or cream as per your choice.
- Add 1 of granulated sugar, ¼ tsp. of cinnamon, a pinch of salt and splash of vanilla extract to the egg mixture.
- Whisk this mixture together and make sure that the batter is smooth.
- You can choose fresh bread, or you can keep the bread open in a bowl overnight to make it a bit hard.
- Keep the frying pan on medium heat and put a few drops of vegetable oil and butter. Warm it up till the butter-oil mixture turn bit brown. Please make sure not to burn it.
- Take the egg-milk mixture and whisk it again, making sure that cinnamon is not settled at the bottom of the bowl. Put one slice of bread into the mixture and dip it on both sides in the mixture.
- Put the slice of bread dipped in an egg mixture on the frying pan for a couple of minutes.
- Flip it over and cook it on the other side till it nice golden brown. Remove it and serve on a plate.
- Make sure to put butter and vegetable oil mixture before putting each slice of bread on the pan. Serve it with maple syrup and some powdered sugar on top.