This ham and potato casserole is a great recipe for prepare for Thanksgiving or Christmas. This casserole is very easy to make. Ham, onion and potatoes are mixed with a sauce and then placed into a casserole dish and topped off with cheddar cheese. The sauce is just a simple combination of butter, flour, milk and cheddar cheese. This casserole can either be served as a side-dish or as the main course for a meal. Enjoy.
- 4 medium potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- ½ cup onion (chopped)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- extra cheese for sprinkling on top
- Placed diced potatoes into a large pot. Add enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour. Slowly add the milk, a little at a time while whisking. Add salt and pepper. Whisk until thickened. Add 1 cup of the shredded cheese and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. Pour the potatoes, ham, and onion inside. Pour the cheese mixture over the top. Top with additional shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place into the oven and bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes.