You can easily purchase chorizo sausage from the store but making your own is so much better. This recipe for homemade chorizo uses simple ingredients, many of which you probably already have on hand. Chorizo is ground pork that is mixed with various spices. In this recipe the ground pork is mixed in a bowl with the spices and cider vinegar. You can adjust the amount of heat in this recipe to your liking by adding more or less red pepper flakes. You can also add some cayenne pepper if you choose. Once the sausage has been prepared it can be put into casings, formed into patties or left in bulk to be cooked and used for tacos or burritos. Enjoy.
- 1lb ground lean pork
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large bowl combine chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, garlic powder, coriander, oregano, red pepper flakes, ground cloves, and ground black pepper, and stir until well combined.
- Add the cider vinegar and stir into the spice mixture until the dry ingredients are moist.
- Add the ground pork and work the spice mixture into the meat using your hands until well incorporated.
- The chorizo can be used immediately but for best flavor development, place the chorizo into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator overnight.
- The Chorizo can be formed into small patties or scrambled and cooked in the pan until fully cooked.