- You can start by preheating the oven to 325 F.
- Then sauté the onions, celery, and mushrooms in butter in a large skillet until soft. Mix in the broth and seasonings thoroughly.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the bread cubes with the mushroom mixture to coat. Stir in just enough warm water to achieve the desired consistency.
- Loosely fill the bird just before baking. Cover and chill any leftover filling in a greased baking dish until ready to bake.
- Skewer turkey openings; use kitchen rope to tie drumsticks together. In a roasting pan, place the chicken breast side up on a rack. Brush the surface with melted butter.
- Bake the turkey until a thermometer inserted in the center of the stuffing reads 165 F and the thigh reaches at least 170 F, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (If the turkey browns too rapidly, you can cover loosely with foil.)
- Cover and bake the remaining stuffing for 30-40 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes, or until gently browned.
- Cover the turkey with foil and set aside for 20 minutes before slicing and removing the stuffing. Thicken pan drippings for gravy if required.
You can watch this video recipe to know how long to cook a 14 lb stuffed turkey.