- 30 minutes before cooking, take the steaks out of the fridge. Olive oil should be rubbed all over them. Also, season them with salt and pepper on both sides. Allow 30 minutes for the steaks to rest at room temperature.
- Adjust your oven’s temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (204 degrees C) and let it preheat. You should also heat up a cast-iron grill pan on top of the stove at the same time, do this over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
- When the oven is just about to be heated up totally, put in the butter and warm until it is melted. Arrange the New York strip steaks in one single layer on a baking sheet. Sear the steaks for about 2 minutes, making sure not to move them. Keep searing them until they are browned on the bottom and grill marks appear. Flip the steaks and sear them on the opposite side for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Move the pan and its contents into the already heated oven. Leave the strip steaks to bake for around 2 to 6 minutes, depending on how done you want it.
- To get the best outcome, use a probe thermometer to monitor the internal temperature of the steaks, but a standard meat thermometer will suffice. These are approximate cooking times for a 1.5-inch (4-cm) thick steak:
At 120°F (49°C), cook for 1 to 2 minutes, for rare strip steaks
At 130°F (54°C), cook for 2 to 3 minutes, for medium-rare strip steaks
At 140°F (60°C), cook for 3 to 5 minutes, for medium strip steaks
At 150°F (66°C), cook for 4 to 7 minutes, for medium-well strip steaks
At 160°F (71°C), 5-8 minutes, for well-done strip steaks
The temperature of the steak will rise by 5 degrees while resting in the next stage.
- Transfer the New York strip steaks to a platter after removing them from the oven. (If you leave them in the pan, they will overcook.) Allow 5 minutes for the steaks to rest before slicing.
This recipe for New York strip steaks yields extremely flavorful results especially when the cooking instructions are followed to the letter. The cooking duration for this recipe is 10 minutes, including a prep time of 2 minutes and a cook time of 8 minutes. This means that this recipe is extremely quick and easy to achieve.
If you’d like to explore more ideas for cooking New York strip steak recipes, then we recommend this video recipe for you to watch.