- Start by peeling your potato with a potato peeler, then shred the potato with a box grater, be careful with the sharp ends.
- Soak the shredded potato in cold water, and mix with your fingers to release more of those starches.
- Strain off all the water and place the potato shreds in a bowl lined with a towel or a cheesecloth. Pick up the towel with the potato in it, wrap it up, and give it a good, hard squeeze to get rid of excess water.
- In a pan, add some cooking oil and set to medium-high heat, put the potatoes into the pan and spread out with a spatula, leave to fry for 2 minutes on each side.
- Turn off the heat and allow the potatoes to cool off, next season with ½ teaspoon each of garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, and ¼ of grated cheddar cheese and mix properly.
- Preheat about 1 to 2 inches of oil in a pan over medium-high heat. The temperature should be 350°F
- Scoop up some of the potato mixes and form it into a hash brown or a pattie.
- Gently lay the hash brown in the preheated oil and fry for a couple of minutes until it is golden brown, flip over and do the same for the other side. Repeat the process for the remaining patties.
- Remove the hash browns from the pan and set them aside on a paper towel to absorb that excess grease.
These hash browns are crispy, colorful, and very delicious, you can easily make these at home even if it was your first time making hash browns. If you would like to see other recipe ideas, kindly check out this video recipe.