If you are craving some spicy macaroni and cheese you will love jalapeno mac and cheese. Just be careful because this dish can be hot. If you want the maximum amount of the spice leaves the seeds in the jalapeno peppers. This macaroni and cheese use three different types of cheeses—Gouda, cheddar, and Monterey Jack. This recipe is easy to prepare- the noodles are mixed with the cheese sauce and then tossed with jalapeno peppers and prosciutto. The mac and cheese are then topped with breadcrumbs, placed into the oven to finish cooking. This macaroni and cheese recipe makes a nice side dish or can be served as a meal. Enjoy.
(Makes 4 Servings)Print
- 14 ounces elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 ounces shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3lb prosciutto (sliced)
- 2 jalapeno peppers (seeded and sliced)
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (buttered)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add elbow macaroni and cook according to package directions.
- While the water is coming to a boil for the pasta, in a large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk together. Cook for 1 minute. Slowly pour in the milk, a little at a time
- while whisking constantly until the milk is incorporated. Cook while whisking for about 4-5 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Remove the milk mixture from the heat and stir in the cheeses until melted.
- Drain the pasta and toss it with the cheese sauce. Stir in the prosciutto and jalapeno peppers. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Top evenly with buttered breadcrumbs.
Place into the oven and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbly and the breadcrumbs are golden brown.