This is a copycat recipe for the Twisters from KFC restaurant. The Twister consists of fried chicken strips, lettuce, tomato and pepper mayonnaise rolled in a flour tortilla. The chicken strips get a lot of flavor from various seasonings and are deep-fried. The best part about this recipe is the black pepper mayonnaise which is a combination of mayonnaise, black pepper and lemon juice. If you enjoy the Twister from KFC give this recipe a try. Enjoy!
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (sliced into strips)
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup romaine lettuce (shredded)
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 6 flour tortillas
- Pepper Mayonnaise-
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a medium bowl stir together mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Combine the beaten egg and milk in a medium bowl. In a plastic bag combine flour, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and baking powder. Shake to combine.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 375 degrees F. Place the chicken strips into the bag with the flour and shake until the strips are coated. Remove them from the flour mixture and place them onto a plate. Dip them into the egg and milk mixture individually and then place them back into the bag with the flour and shake to coat again. Try and get as much coating as possible on each strip.
- Drop the strips, 3-4 at a time into the hot oil. Stir while frying so that the strips don’t stick together. Fry in the hot oil for 8-14 minutes or until golden brown and fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F.). Drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with remaining strips.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Lay out a tortilla into the skillet and cook until warmed but not crispy. Remove from the pan. Spread a thin layer of the pepper mayonnaise into the center of each tortilla. Add 1-2 of the chicken strips over the mayonnaise. Add lettuce and tomato on top of the chicken. Roll up and serve. Repeat with remaining tortillas.