Meatball is a special recipe made with minced fresh meat. But the origin of the meatball recipe is still a mystery. In the past, the meatball was made out of leftover meat which was ground and chopped finely and made into balls.
But now it is made with fresh meat of beef or pork along with herbs, cheese, egg, and breadcrumbs. It can also be made with fish and is known as fishballs. Meatballs are typically served with spaghetti or on pizza and some people like to eat it with rice.
Meatballs are the most simple and affordable dish. The next most common part of meatballs is tomatoes, which are easily available in every kitchen.
Now let’s see in the below recipe how to make delicious and mouthwatering meatballs.
Ingredients – Meatball
- 250g (each) good quality pork and minced beef
- 1 small onion – finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic – finely pounded
- 50g dry breadcrumbs
- 1 large beaten egg
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 50g grated parmesan cheese
- 60ml buttermilk
- A handful of fresh parsley – finely sliced
- 100g pancetta – finely sliced
- Salt and black pepper
Ingredients – Tomato sauce for gravy
- 700g passata (thick paste of strained tomatoes)
- 75ml red wine
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried red chili flakes
- Mozzarella cheese – sliced
- Salt and black pepper
- Mix all the ingredients of meatball shown above in a large bowl. Combine and blend them until they are evenly mixed.
- Make a large ball (size of a golf ball) of meatballs with your hands and keep it in a tray or plate. Make sure to dip your hands in water after making each ball as it will help things getting too tacky.
- Keep a frying pan to heat and put some olive oil to fry.
- Fry all the meatballs turn by turn until golden. Don’t try to put all meatballs at one time. Fry them according to the size of the pan.
- Take out the fried meatballs in the baking tray.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 150˚C/300°F.
- Remove the excess oil from the pan after frying the meatballs and place back on low heat.
- Add some chopped garlic and fry until golden in color.
- Pour the passata and red wine and mix together. Put all the seasonings like oregano, chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Allow the mixture to cook for 5-6 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Pour the sauce into the meatball tray and make sure to flip and dip all meatballs in that sauce turn by turn.
- Cover the tray/pan and transfer to the preheated oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Take out the tray/pan and put some mozzarella cheese and leftover parmesan cheese and put it back to the oven at 220°C/450°F for a few 5-6 minutes.
- Your delicious meatball is ready to be served with pasta or spaghetti.