- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened to room temperature)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup raspberry jam
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until it is creamy (about 1 minute). Turn he mixer to medium speed and add in the sugar, vanilla and almond extracts. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl as needed. Turn the mixer off and pour the flour into the wet ingredients. Turn the mixer to low and beat slowly until a soft dough has formed. Press the dough down to compact it and tightly cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Place into the refrigerator and chill until firm (at least 4 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Shape the prepared cookie dough into balls that are about 1 tablespoon of dough per ball (make sure that they are nice and smooth). If the balls or dough become too sticky and/or have gotten a little soft after rolling, place them back into the refrigerator to firm up (you do not want soft dough at all). Make an indentation with your thumb into each ball (the dough may be cracked slightly when you press into it, smooth it out with your fingers if you can). Fill each thumbprint with a ½ teaspoon of jam or however much it can hold.
- Place into the oven and bake the thumbprint cookies for 14-15 minutes or until very lightly browned on the edges. The cookies will puff up and spread slightly. Do not overbake. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before glazing.
- To prepare the glaze- whisk the glaze ingredients together until smooth. Add more milk or cream to thin out the glaze or add more confectioners’ sugar if you would like it to be thicker. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cookies. The glaze will set within a couple of hours.