- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (plus more for greasing the pan)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for the pan
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ recipe cooled vanilla pudding
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan. In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Combine milk and butter in a small saucepan over very low heat.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar on high speed until thickened, lightened in color and the mixture holds a trail for several seconds when the beater is lifted (about 4-5 minutes). Gradually whisk in the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Bring the milk and butter to a boil. With the mixer on low speed, add the hot milk mixture to the batter. Mix until just smooth. Mix in the vanilla extract. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Place into the oven and bake until golden and pulling away from the sides of the pan, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool the pan for 10 minutes in the pan. Remove from the pan and transfer to a rack to cool, right side up.
- Once the cake has cooled, place the cake onto a piece of wax paper. Use a serrated knife and cut the cake in half horizontally. Spread the bottom half of the cake with vanilla pudding to within a ½ inch of the edge. Gently place the top half of the cake over the pudding layer.
- To prepare the chocolate glaze—in a small saucepan, bring heavy cream to a boil. Remove from heat and add semisweet chocolate. Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature and to thicken slightly about 10 minutes.
- When the glaze has thickened, pour over the top of the filled cake. Using a small metal spatula, spread the glaze to the edges of the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides. Let the glaze set for 15 to 20 minutes.