- 7 manicotti shells (cooked according to package directions)
- `1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of shredded cooked chicken
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1 (28 ounces) can Italian style crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil leaves
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 basil leaves (chopped)
- Heat the crushed tomatoes in a saucepan over low heat. Add 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon of chopped basil and stir frequently until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread a thin layer of the sauce onto the bottom of the baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl combine the cooked chicken, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, oregano, salt and pepper and stir until well combined.
- Stuff each manicotti with about ¼ cup of the chicken and cheese mixture carefully so that the manicotti doesn’t tear.
- Place the stuffed manicotti shells in a layer over the sauce in the baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the shells. Top with shredded parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
- Place into the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Top with fresh basil and serve.