- 2 boneless chicken breasts (cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons oil from the deep fryer
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons of the leftover seasoned flour mixture
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 4 cups cooked French fries
- 2 cups cheese curds
- ½ cup crumbled cooked bacon pieces
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F. Pour the buttermilk into a bowl. In a second large bowl combine flour, black pepper, salt, baking powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper and mix well. Transfer to 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture to a small bowl and set aside. Coat the chicken pieces first in the flour mixture, then dip in the buttermilk and roll in the flour mixture again. Repeat until all the chicken pieces are coated.
- Add the chicken to the deep-fryer and deep-fry in batches, turning occasionally until golden brown and fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F.), about 5 minutes. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- To prepare the gravy—sauté the shallots in 2 tablespoons of the deep-fryer oil over medium-high heat until soft. Whisk together the reserved flour mixture and milk until the lumps disappear. Whisk the milk mixture into the shallots. Whisk in chicken bouillon. Boil until thickened to your preferring consistency.
- To assemble—layer fries with cheese curds, gravy, and fried chicken. Top with bacon and green onions. Serve immediately.