- 4 cups of rice, boiled and refrigerated (choose short grain rice)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 medium-sized carrots, diced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 3–4 tbsp. soy sauce
- ½ tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp. oyster sauce (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a medium sized sauté pan. Add ½ tbsp. butter and stir in the whisked eggs. Scramble the eggs and transfer them to a plate or small bowl.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 1 ½ tbsp. butter and add all the vegetables except the green onions. Season with salt and pepper and sauté the vegetables on medium heat for about five minutes.
- Turn up the heat to high and add the rice. Quickly stir in the rice and add the green onions along with the soy sauce and the oyster sauce.
- Stir continuously to avoid burning the vegetables or the rice. Fry the rice for about three minutes.
- Add the scrambled eggs and mix it
- Remove the rice from heat and drizzle the sesame oil. Stir well to mix everything and your rice is ready to be served.
You can use shredded or diced chicken, beef, pork, or add shrimps to the rice according to your taste. These can be added to the recipe right after you add the rice to the sauté pan.
Fried rice goes well with a number of oriental chicken and vegetable recipes. But it can be enjoyed on its own as a meal because of all the vegetables and meat it packs in.