- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1-inch chunks)
- ½ cup cornstarch
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion (cut into wedges)
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into chunks)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped pineapple in juice
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Canola oil (for frying)
- Place the chicken chunks into a zip log bag. Add cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Seal and shake until the chicken pieces are well coated.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 375 degrees F. Deep-fry chicken in batches until golden brown and fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F.). Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Drain the juice from the pineapple chunks and reserve the juice. In a medium bowl combine the pineapple juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, and tomato paste.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add the onions and bell pepper and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the drained pineapple chunks. Add the pineapple juice and soy sauce mixture.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Add the cooked chicken pieces and toss with the sauce to coat.