- Prepare the oven to 450F and while it heats up, position the turkey on a cutting platform with the breast side up. Slice out the backbone, turn the turkey over and flatten by pressing it down. Then, move it into a roasting pan with the breast side up again, ensuring the wings shield the breast. Also, allow the legs to poke out a bit.
- Tuck the garlic and thyme in the legs and wing’s nooks and under the bird. Then, drizzle the bird with olive oil and season with pepper and salt to taste.
- Roast the turkey uninterrupted for 20 minutes until it browns. Then, remove the bird and baste with its pan juice. Then, return the turkey to the oven and turn down the heat to 400F or 350F if the browning is too quick.
- About 15 minutes later, check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer. The turkey is ready when it reads 165F on this kitchen tool. Ensure to check at its thickest parts; the thighs and breast.
- Once the turkey is done, bring it out and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes, then serve topped with the pan juice and garlic cloves.
More ideas can be found here.