- 4 pounds of beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper or any pepper you’d like
- 1 medium-sized onion (chopped)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup diced carrots
- Tomato paste (optional)
- 1 cup of red wine
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 8 cups chicken stock (or beef)
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Take a large pot, add the oil inside, and heat over medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes.
- Wash and pat dry the beef ribs with some paper towels then season with salt and pepper or a spice rub.
- Sprinkle the flour on it and add the ribs into the hot pot. Make sure they are spaced well and not overlapping, you could do this in batches if they are much.
- Sear the meat for about 2-3 minutes on each side to lock the juices and give a nice crust and color.
- After searing, remove the ribs and set them aside, add the tablespoon of butter and then add the chopped onion.
- Mix the spices underneath thoroughly with a wooden spoon into the onion and cook for about 2 minutes then add the chopped carrots and celery and stir for about a minute.
- Next add the minced garlic, thyme, and bay leaves, season with salt and pepper then cook for about a minute.
- Add the red wine and mix it with the vegetables and spices then add the broth.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for a few minutes, add the boneless beef ribs you set aside and keep cooking for about 2 hours.
- The sauce should be thick after 2 hours but if it isn’t you could still cook it for some extra minutes or add a thickener.
- If you’re okay with the texture then remove the ribs from heat, sprinkle the chopped parsley, and serve with any dish of your choice.
You could make this recipe by following these steps above and if you want to see more ideas on this recipe, then you should check out this video recipe