- Six bundles of kale greens washed and chopped
- Four strips bacon
- One teaspoon olive oil, extra-virgin
- One teaspoon black pepper
- One teaspoon salt
- One teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ onion, chopped
- Bring about two and a half cups of water to boil in a pot. Then, add four bacon strips and let it cook for 30 to 45 minutes at medium-high. When the bacon softens, cut them into small pieces if you’d like.
- Toss in the rest of the seasoning, along with the vinegar, and stir thoroughly into the bacon stock. Then, add the kale greens and stir the leaves in till it thoroughly mixes. You can put the chopped kale greens in handfuls as you do.
- Once the kale has been thoroughly stirred into the stock, let the pot boil for 10 minutes. Then, lower the heat, so it simmers the greens for 2½ hours. Make sure to adjust the seasoning and water as required, as the stock shouldn’t completely dry out.
- When the southern-style kale greens are ready, take the pot down and serve as desired.
You can also watch his video recipe for more ways to cook this dish.