For the sweet potatoes:
- 2 pounds of sweet potatoes (about 3 large-sized ones), scrubbed and dried
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil, add extra to use on the grill grates
- Kosher salt
For the honey-lime dressing (optional recipe suggestion)
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 ½ teaspoon of vegetable or olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons of sambal oelek
- 1 ½ teaspoon of lime juice, freshly squeezed
- A pinch of kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- Preheat an outside grill to 350°F for medium-high direct heat. Cut the sweet potatoes crosswise on a slight diagonal into ½-inch thick slices while the grill is heating up. Toss everything together in a large mixing basin with the oil, salt, and pepper.
- The grates on the grill should be oiled. Arrange the sweet potato slices on the grill in a single layer. Cover the grill and cook the potatoes for 5 minutes, or until grill marks line them. Cook for another 5 minutes after flipping the sweet potatoes, ensuring that they are covered until soft. Make the dressing while this is ongoing, that is, if you’re choosing to use it.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the oil, honey, lime juice, sambal, and salt. Transfer the sweet potatoes to the mixing bowl with the dressing and toss to incorporate. After this, move the potatoes to a serving plate and garnish with cilantro before serving.
- The dressing can be prepared and stored in the refrigerator for up to two days. Allow the dressing to come to room temperature before using while the sweet potatoes are roasting, then whisk them again when you’re ready.
- Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
This recipe can be made within a total of 20 minutes, including a prep time of 5 minutes. If you’d like to see more ways to cook sweet potatoes on the grill, take a look at this video recipe.