- 14 oz macaroni
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup gruyere cheese
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 360 degrees.
- Take a large bowl and combine all the cheese – cheddar, gruyere and mozzarella cheese together. Mix well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pot and add 1 tsp. salt to it and bring it to a boil. Add the macaroni al dente – you don’t want your macaroni to get soggy else the dish won’t taste at its best.
- Those that like to stick to the instructions on the pack, ditch the printed directives instead cook it a couple of minutes less than what you usually do. Once done drain the pasta and set aside.
- Take a large pot a melt the butter, quickly add the flour and whisk. Keep the flame medium-low and keep stirring as you smash flour lumps.
- Add the milk slowly, don’t keep down the whisk – yeah! whisk, away coz you don’t want any lumps to form.
- You wouldn’t mind burning a few calories if you want to eat a bowl of perfect mac n cheese. Cook for about 5 minutes till the mixture thickens and add the nutmeg powder.
- Pick your bowl of cheese and gradually add ¾ of it to the sauce. Whisk after each addition and wait till the cheese melts before you put in more cheese.
- Add salt and pepper as per your taste.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and mix well. Coat the macaroni in the cheesy mixture – the sight of dripping cheese makes your stomach grumble.Wait! It’s not done yet, transfer the mixture to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or till the mac n cheese mix gets a nice golden colour.
- Your mac n cheese is ready to eat, dig in while it’s hot!
If you want to add other herbs or spices then you can go ahead and add them when you are seasoning the sauce.