This recipe for mashed potato casserole is a great way to make your mashed potatoes even better. This casserole is perfect for the Holidays and makes a great side dish to go with dinner. This recipe does require a little bit of work because you need to make the potatoes but other than that it is easy to prepare. The potatoes are mashed with ingredients such as sour cream, chives, butter, and cheddar cheese. The mashed potato mixture is spooned into a casserole dish and topped with additional cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, and French fried onions. If you want to could mix additional bacon right into the mashed potato mixture for even more delicious flavor. Enjoy.
(Makes 6 Servings)Print
- 6 medium potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- ¼ cup butter
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives (chopped)
- ½ cup French fried onions
- 2 tablespoons cooked crumbled bacon (or more)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly butter a 1 ½ quart casserole dish. Place potatoes into a 3-quart saucepan and add enough cold water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain the potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or mixer. Add the butter, sour cream, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, and chives. Mash or stir until mixed well.
- Spoon the mashed potato mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Place into the oven and bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until hot. During the last few minutes of cooking top with 1 cup of cheddar cheese, bacon pieces, and French fried onions. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese has melted.