- 1 large onion (cut into ¼” thick slices)
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup dry breadcrumbs
- seasoning salt (to taste)
- Oil (for frying)
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 365 degrees. Separate onion slices into rings. In a large bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Dip the onion ring slices into the flour mixture until they are well coated. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs and milk into the flour mixture until a batter has formed. Dip the floured onion rings in the batter to coat.
- Place the coated onion rings on a wire rack until the batter stops dripping. You can place a sheet of aluminum foil under the wire rack to catch the drips. Pour the breadcrumbs into a shallow bowl or plate.
- Coat the onion rings with the bread crumbs until coated thoroughly.
- Deep fry onion rings in batches for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Season with seasoning salt.