I tried the Philly cheese steak burger at a local restaurant and was not all that impressed. I felt the burger could have been better and I decided to make my own improved version. The Philly cheese steak burger combines the ingredients of a cheese steak sandwich on a hamburger. A grilled hamburger patty is topped with red and green bell peppers, onions, Monterey jack cheese, and shaved roast beef. You can also add fresh sliced mushrooms to this recipe if you want. Another great addition of this hamburger is the garlic mayonnaise. This type of mayonnaise is a simple combination of minced garlic and mayonnaise. If you don’t have an outdoor grill you could cook these in a skillet or in an indoor grill pan. These burgers are best served with fries. Enjoy.
(Makes 6 Servings)
- 2lbs ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper (sliced)
- 12 slices Monterey jack cheese
- 6 hamburger buns
- 6 slices deli roast beef
- Garlic Mayonnaise-
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- In a large skillet heat vegetable oil to medium-high heat. Add onion, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper. Sautee until the vegetables have reached your desired tenderness. Remove from heat and set aside. In a small bowl mix together mayonnaise and minced garlic. Set aside.
- In another small bowl mix together garlic powder, onion salt, salt, and black pepper. Take the ground beef and form it into 6 patties. Season the parties on both sides with the seasoning mixture.
- Lightly grease the grates of an outdoor grill and heat the grill to medium-high heat. Place patties onto the grill and cook until the patties are fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 160 degrees). During the last few minutes of cooking top each patty with sautéed vegetables and 2 slices of Monterey jack cheese. Cook until the cheese has melted. Split the hamburger buns and place them onto the grill. Cook until lightly toasted on the bottom.
- To assemble the burgers- Place the grilled patties onto the bottom half of a toasted bun. Top with a slice of roast beef. Spread garlic mayonnaise on the bottom half of the top half of the bun. Place the top half of the bun over the roast beef.