- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 2lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (sliced into strips)
- oil (for frying)
- 4 sub rolls
- olive oil (for spreading)
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 pickles (sliced)
- Place chicken strips into a large bowl and pour the buttermilk over the top of the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In a large bowl mix together eggs, water, and hot sauce. In a gallon freezer bag combine flour, pepper, salt, paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and place into the freezer bag, seal and shake until evenly coated. Remove the chicken from the bag and dip each chicken strip into the egg mixture and then put back into the freezer bag. Seal and shake again.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees F. Fry chicken in batches for about 5-7 minutes or until golden brown and fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F.), turning as needed. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Cut the loaf of French bread in half lengthwise. Lightly brush olive oil onto the cut sides of the French bread. Place cut side up onto a baking sheet. Place into the oven and broil, 5-6 inches from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven.
- Spread mayonnaise onto the top and bottom of the toasted side of the bun. Top the bottom half with sliced pickles, cooked strips, and shredded lettuce.