¼ cup chili powder
2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons oregano
3 bay leaves
2 teaspoons brown sugar
4lbs steak (cut into 1-inch cubes)
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 ½ tablespoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 cups chopped onions
1 ½ cups chopped celery
6 garlic cloves (chopped)
2 jalapeno peppers (seeded and chopped)
1 ½ cups beef stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 (28 ounces) can crushed tomatoes
1-ounce semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons masa harina (corn flour)
2 cups of water
½ cup chopped cilantro
½ cup chopped parsley
- In a small bowl combine chili powder, cumin seeds, cayenne, cinnamon, oregano, bay leaves, and brown sugar. Mix well and set aside.
- Add the beef cubes to a large bowl and season with black pepper and 1 tablespoon of salt. Heat oil in a large deep skillet over high heat. Add about 1/3 cup of the beef mixture to the skillet and cook until browned. Transfer the beef to the slow cooker.
- Repeat with remaining beef, in batches if needed. Add more oil in between batches if necessary.
- Once the beef has finished cooking, add the onion, celery and 1 tablespoon of salt to the skillet and cook while stirring until the vegetables begin to soften (about 2 minutes). Add garlic, jalapenos, and the spice mixture and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the beef stock, tomato paste, and crushed tomatoes and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in the chocolate chips, masa harina, and 2 pinches of salt and cook for an additional minute.
- Transfer this mixture into the slow cooker with the beef and stir in the water.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours, stirring only once or twice until the beef is fully tender. Remove the bay leaves and stir in cilantro and parsley.