- 3–4lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- 2/3 cup rice wine (or sake)
- 1 cup of soy sauce
- 4 ½ teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 7 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (minced)
- 1 small pinch red pepper flakes
- black pepper (to taste)
- In a saucepan over high heat, add rice wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the wine for 10 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and sugar. Season with garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Allow sauce to cool completely.
Place chicken in a bowl, pour in teriyaki sauce.
- Seal and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Remove chicken from the marinade (reserve the liquid if you want to use it for sauce). Cook chicken by grilling, baking or cut into pieces and stir fry.
- If using the marinade as a sauce- pour the reserved marinade into a saucepan or wok and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.