Apple pie is loved by people in many countries around the globe. Apple pie recipe is known since the middle ages but with the entirely different cooking concept.
There was no usage of sugar since it was very costly and also the pastry or the bottom part was not eaten as it was considered as a plate.
Now apple pie has become a basic food of Americans because the US is a mixture of many cultures. The French version of Apple pie is called ‘Tarte tatin’.
If you are curious to learn the apple pie recipe, then follow the below instructions.Print
Ingredients for apple filling
- 3 pounds tart apples (about 5 large), peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup or 50 grams granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup or 65 grams light brown sugar
- 1 of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. butter
Ingredients for pie crust:
- 2 2/3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. granulated white sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled, and cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of icy cold filtered water
Ingredients for egg wash:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. water
- Take the peeled and cut apples in a bowl. Make sure the apples are of firm texture so that after baking, it becomes soft and not gooey.
- Add lemon juice and toss it. It helps apple not to turn brown.
- Add white granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon into the apple. Also, add grated nutmeg. It is completely optional.
- Toss the complete mixture on apple nicely so that each piece of apple is well quoted.
- Put the apples in a strainer and cover it with plastic wrap. Keep the strainer on a large bowl for 1 to 2 hours. This process will strain all the juice from the apple.
- By the time our apples are resting, let’s move on to make pie crust.
- In a blender or food processor take the all-purpose flour, kosher salt, and granulated sugar. Mix it.
- Now add the chilled unsalted butter to the mixture. Once again mix it till it becomes rough and not a paste. Add water and blend till it can hold together but make sure not to make the dough.
- Wrap the mixture in a plastic wrap and refrigerate it for an hour until steady.
- Take out the pastry and make it into two parts. Roll the first part into a 12-inch circle and place it in apple pie plate. Ensure it properly stick to the plate.
- With the other part, roll it flat for around a 12-inch, keep it aside in a flat plate and refrigerate it.
- Cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest for a half-hour.
- Coming back to Apple filling remove the extra juice which is collected in the large bowl and boil it in a separate pan for a minute. Put some cornstarch and water. Boil it again till it becomes transparent.
- Put this mixture inside the apples and mix it.
- Pour the apples in the apple pie pastry and spread it evenly. Put some unsalted butter pieces on top. Cover the pie plate with other crust and plastic wrap. Place it in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and water. Brush the top of the chilled pie and sprinkle some powdered sugar on top.
- Set the baking time for 45 to 55 minutes and bake the pie.
- Cool it for half an hour and serve it with vanilla ice cream or eat it as it is.