- 1 ½ cups ripe bananas (mashed)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter (softened)
- 2 1/8 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- Cream cheese frosting-
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- 1 (8 ounces) package cream cheese (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups icing sugar
- Walnuts (chopped, for garnish)
- Pre-heat the oven to 275 degrees. Grease 2, 8” round baking pans.
- In a small bowl mix mashed bananas and lemon juice. Set aside. In a medium bowl mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl cream ¾ cups butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla extract. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Stir in banana mixture.
- Evenly pour batter into 2, 8” round baking pans. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Between those times keep checking on the cake with a toothpick to see if it’s done. When the cake is done take the baking pans and place them directly into the freezer for 45 minutes to cool.
- While the cake is cooling, to make the frosting- In a bowl cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in vanilla extract. Add the icing sugar a little at a time and beat on low until combined. Then beat on high until smooth.
- Remove the cake from the pans and lay out the bottom half on a plate. Spread it fully with frosting. Add the top half and cover the entire cake with frosting. Add chopped walnuts on top.