Beef macaroni casserole is delicious and easy to prepare for dinner. This recipe uses common ingredients and can be prepared quickly. Ground beef is mixed with ingredients such as bell pepper, onion, garlic, tomato sauce, and various seasonings. Then it is mixed in a casserole dish with elbow macaroni and topped with cheddar cheese. I actually layered the cheese with the macaroni mixture and it was amazing. You can adjust the seasonings to your taste. If you want you can use ground turkey or chicken in place of the beef. I like to serve this casserole dish with garlic bread. Enjoy.
- 1lb elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2lbs lean ground beef
- 3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 to 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers, onion, and garlic and sauté until soft. Add the ground beef and sauté while breaking up into chunks with a spatula or spoon until browned. Add the crushed tomatoes, salt, and pepper to taste, basil, cumin, and oregano.
- Combine the beef mixture with the cooked macaroni. Spread the mixture into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Top with the cheddar cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.