Perhaps you enjoy having a beer with your Marconi and cheese but now you can have a beer that’s in your macaroni and cheese! This recipe adds beer to the cheese sauce to make a very unique macaroni and cheese. For even more flavor the cheese sauce consists of both cheddar and parmesan cheeses. To make things even better, instead of using a breadcrumb topping, this mac and cheese is loaded with crushed kettle chips before being placed into the oven and baked. You can use whatever type of kettle chips you want—I have used just the plain ones, but a flavor such as cheddar would probably taste really good! This recipe makes a great side dish and is easy to prepare. Enjoy. Adapted from how sweet it is.
(Makes 8 Servings)
- 2 ½ cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces milk
- 8 ounces amber beer
- 8 ounces freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
Kettle Chip Topping-
- ¼ cup butter (melted)
- 1 bag kettle chips (crushed into medium crumbs)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl mix together the melted butter and crushed kettle chips. Set aside. Cook noodles are according to package directions (take 1-2 minutes off of the cooking time because the pasta will continue to cook in the oven). Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan to medium-high heat. Add the butter and allow it to melt. Whisk in the flour to create a paste. Cook while whisking for about 2 minutes. Pour in milk and beer while whisking constantly. Stir in the cheddar and parmesan cheeses and stir until melted. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking and stirring for 5-6 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat. Stir in pepper, paprika, and nutmeg.
- Lightly grease a 9×13” casserole dish. Add the drained noodles to the casserole dish, and then pour the cheese sauce over the noodles. Gently mix together the noodles and the cheese sauce. Top evenly with the kettle chip mixture. Place into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.