Today I tried a recipe for blueberry bread (or maybe it’s more like a cake or a loaf) that I’m going to share with you. Yeah, before you say anything – my blueberries all sunk to the bottom L. I wasn’t very happy about that but it still tasted great at least. I wanted to use wild blueberries as they work better, but unfortunately, I couldn’t find any at this time of year. I came across this recipe on Smitten Kitchen and decided to give it a try. If you choose a lot of variations could be made to this recipe – maybe instead of using blueberries use blackberries or raspberries? You could also consider adding some of your favorite chopped nuts into the bread. What I really like about this recipe is how moist it came out and the great lemon flavor it has. This recipe for blueberry bread is a great combination of yogurt, blueberries, and lemon. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
- 1 1-/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon flour (for blueberries)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 extra large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- A ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- Grease and flour an 8 ½ x 4 ¼ x 2 ½ inch baking pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl mix 1 ½ cups flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together yogurt, eggs, sugar, lemon zest, oil and vanilla extract. Slowly mix the wet and dry ingredients together into one bowl.
- Lightly toss blueberries in 1 tablespoon of flour to coat, and fold them gently into the batter. Pour the batter into your baking pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until done. Stick a toothpick in the loaf and if it comes up clean, it’s done. While the loaf is baking cook 1/3 cup lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of sugar until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- When the loaf is done allow it to cool for 10-15 minutes, and place on a cooling rack. When the loaf is still warm pour the lemon-sugar mixture over it and allow it to soak in. Allow to fully cool.