- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion (cut into rings)
- 1 (15 ounces) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (7 ounces) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (or to taste)
- 2lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 (10 inches) flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- butter (for spreading)
- Cook the chicken according to the method of your choice (boiled, pan-fried, baked, etc.) until fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 Degrees F.).
- When the chicken has cooled shred it using two forks.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook and stir until softened (about 5 minutes). Meanwhile, add stewed tomatoes and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour the sauce into the pan with the onions and add the cooked shredded chicken. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Heat another large skillet to medium heat. Butter one side of a tortilla. Lay the tortilla into the skillet butter-side down and sprinkle some of the cheese over the top of the entire tortilla. Add a layer of the chicken tinga onto one side of the tortilla.
- Once the cheese has melted and the tortilla has browned on the bottom, fold the half with just the cheese over the half of the tortilla with the chicken and press gently with a spatula.
- Cut into 3 slices and serve. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.