Chicken tinga makes an excellent filling for quesadillas. If you are not familiar with this recipe, chicken tinga is shredded chicken that is mixed with a spicy tomato sauce. The chicken is first cooked, shedded and then simmer with the tomato sauce in the pan. The spicy sauce is a simple combination of chipotle in adobo and stewed tomatoes. Chipotle in adobo sauce is spicy so you will only want to add it to your taste. You may only want to add one or two peppers. This recipe consists of very few ingredients and is so easy to prepare. The cheese used in this recipe is Mexican cheese blend. You could also use Colby-jack if you would prefer. If you do not want to make quesadillas, this chicken tinga can be used for burritos, tacos, or tostadas as well. Enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion (cut into rings)
- 1 (15 ounces) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (7 ounces) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (or to taste)
- 2lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 (10 inches) flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- butter (for spreading)
- Cook the chicken according to the method of your choice (boiled, pan-fried, baked, etc.) until fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 Degrees F.).
- When the chicken has cooled shred it using two forks.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook and stir until softened (about 5 minutes). Meanwhile, add stewed tomatoes and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour the sauce into the pan with the onions and add the cooked shredded chicken. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Heat another large skillet to medium heat. Butter one side of a tortilla. Lay the tortilla into the skillet butter-side down and sprinkle some of the cheese over the top of the entire tortilla. Add a layer of the chicken tinga onto one side of the tortilla.
- Once the cheese has melted and the tortilla has browned on the bottom, fold the half with just the cheese over the half of the tortilla with the chicken and press gently with a spatula.
- Cut into 3 slices and serve. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.