If you enjoy seafood, using crab meat on a grilled cheese sandwich is something you are sure to enjoy. This recipe calls for lump crab meat but you can also use imitation crab if you would prefer. Using fresh crab meat is always the best option if you are in an area where it is available to you. These grilled cheese sandwiches combine crab meat with mayonnaise, lemon zest, ground black pepper and green onions. The flavor of the Swiss cheese goes great with the crab meat mixture. For the bread, I like to use a good multigrain bread but you can really use whatever type of bread you would prefer. I like to serve these sandwiches with French fries. Enjoy.
- 1 (6 ounces) can lump crab meat, rinsed and drained (or imitation crab)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons chopped green onions
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a medium bowl combine crab meat, mayonnaise, green onion, lemon zest, and ground black pepper. Mix well.
- Layer 2 cheese slices over 2 slices of bread. Top each sandwich evenly with the crabmeat mixture and then 2 additional slices of cheese. Spread butter on one side of each sandwich.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-low heat. Place sandwiches into the skillet butter-side down. Spread butter on the top of each sandwich. Cook until the bottom is golden brown. Turn the sandwiches and cook until the other side is golden brown and the cheese has melted.