This is a great tasting recipe for double decker tacos, just like the ones from Taco Bell—only better! A double decker taco is a flour tortilla covered with a refried bean spread and then wrapped around a hard-shell taco. The taco is loaded with ingredients such as taco meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and cilantro. Many additional ingredients can be added as well such as sour cream and salsa. The taco meat gets a lot of its flavor from seasonings such as chili powder and cumin. Even more flavor is added to the taco meat with tomato sauce and fresh lime juice. Enjoy.
- 1lb ground beef
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 8–10 crunchy taco shells
- 8–10 small flour tortillas
- 1 can refried beans (warmed)
- Queso Fresco cheese
- romaine lettuce
- diced tomato
- chopped cilantro
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain off any excess grease if needed. Add the onion and sauté for a few minutes until tender.
- Add in the tomato sauce, cilantro, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes. If the mixture becomes too dry, you can add a little bit of water and stir to combine.
- Spread a thin layer of refried beans over the soft tortillas and fold them around the crunchy taco shells.
- Fill with meat filling and any of the toppings you wish.