This a copycat recipe for the honey-chipotle chicken crispers at Chili’s restaurant. Chicken crispers are basically chicken strips that are tossed with a sweet and spicy sauce. The sauce uses ingredients such as ketchup and honey and chipotle powder to give these chicken strips amazing flavor. The chicken is first dipped in a batter and then rolled in a flour mixture and deep-fried until crispy. There are a lot of ingredients that go into this recipe but chances are you have many of them on hand. You can easily double these ingredients if you want to serve more people. This is a great appetizer to serve for football season or even for dinner. Enjoy.
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Honey-Chipotle Sauce
- 2/3 cup honey
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg (beaten)
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- In a medium, sauce-pan combine honey, water, ketchup, white vinegar, chipotle powder, and a ½ teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F. In a shallow bowl whisk together egg, milk, chicken broth, 1 ½ teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, ¼ teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder. Mix well. Lastly, whisk in ¾ cups of flour until smooth.
- Prepare the breading by combining 1 ½ cups flour, 1 ½ teaspoon salt, ¾ teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, and ½ teaspoon garlic powder in a shallow bowl or pie plate.
- Cut the chicken into small strips. Dip each chicken piece first into the batter, allowing any excess batter to drip off. Then toss the chicken pieces into the breading mixture until coated thoroughly.
- Carefully drop the breaded chicken into the deep-fryer, a few at a time (depending on the size of your fryer) and cook for 8-14 minutes or until fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F.). Remove from the oil and drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat until all of the chicken is cooked.
- Place the cooked chicken strips into a bowl and pour the sauce over the top. Toss gently to coat.