If you want a truly tasty sandwich recipe for game day give this bratwurst grilled cheese a try. This grilled cheese is a simple combination of a grilled bratwurst, Muenster cheese, honey-mustard and French bread. You can cook the bratwurst on an outdoor grill, an indoor grill pan or even in a frying pan. You can also experiment with different types of cheese in this recipe. A good option instead of the Muenster might be to use shredded Gouda. I like to serve this grilled cheese with either French fries or pretzels.
- 4 slice French bread
- 4 slices Muenster cheese
- 2 bratwurst
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Lightly grease the grates of an outdoor grill. Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Add the bratwurst to the grill and cook turning frequently until fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 160 degrees F.) and browned on both sides.
- Remove the bratwurst from the grill and allow it too cool. Once the bratwurst can be handled, slice it in half lengthwise.
- Butter one side of each slice of the French bread. Take one of the bread slices butter side down and spread a layer of honey mustard onto the top. Place 1 slice of Muenster on top of the honey mustard.
- Add two bratwurst halves strips over the cheese, and top with an additional slice of Muenster. Place the other bread slice over the cheese, butter side up. Repeat with a remaining sandwich.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle to medium-high heat. Add the sandwiches to the skillet butter-side down.
- Cook until the sandwiches are golden brown on the bottom (about 2 minutes). Turn and cook for another 2 minutes on the other side. Cook until golden brown and the cheese has melted.