The NFL preseason is upon us and that means it is that time of year again for gameday food. These gyro brat hoagies are a perfect recipe to serve for game day. The brats are first grilled and then sliced and placed on toasted hoagie rolls with sauce and onion and tomato. The sauce is a combination of sour cream, cucumber, garlic and parsley. I like to server these gyro brat hoagies with French fries. Enjoy.
- 8 ounces sour cream
- ½ medium cucumber (peeled, seeded, and finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 package bratwurst
- 1 loaf of French bread
- 1 small onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 medium tomato (thinly sliced)
- In a bowl combine sour cream, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir in cucumbers. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Grill the brats over medium-high heat, turning frequently until fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F.). Remove from the grill and set aside until cool enough to handle. Turn the grill to low heat. Slice the French bread in half lengthwise and place cut-side down onto the grill. Grill until lightly toasted. Remove from the grill.
- Slice the bratwurst into ¼ inch thick slices. Arrange the brat slices onto the bottom of the toasted French bread. Top with tomato, onion, and sauce. Cut the hoagie and serve.