A great recipe to prepare for football season is hot dog tacos. These tacos are tortilla shells stuffed with cheese, a hot dog, guacamole and salsa. The guacamole gets a lot of flavor from avocado, lime juice, onion and garlic. If you want to save time you can use premade guacamole purchased from the store. You can cook these tacos either using an indoor grill pan or an outdoor grill. I used an outdoor grill. You can also simply add the hot dogs and cheese to the tacos and use the guacamole and salsa for dipping if preferred. Enjoy.
- 8 all-beef hot dogs
- 1/2 small red onion (finely diced)
- salt and pepper
- 1 haas avocado (peeled, pitted and mashed)
- 1 tomato (seeded and chopped)
- juice of 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- In a medium bowl combine the avocado, tomato, onion, lime juice, cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Add the hot dogs and cook until slightly charred on all sides. Remove from the grill. Turn the grill heat to low.
- Place some of the cheese into the center of each tortilla and then top with salsa and guacamole, leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edges. Place the cooked hot dogs at the end of the tortillas, wrap and roll the tortillas around the hot dogs and then pierce with a toothpick to secure. Spray with cooking spray and grill for a few minutes on low heat until brown and crisp.