- One cup pinto beans,
- 12 cups cold water
- Two tablespoons kosher salt
- Clean the beans by removing broken seeds and debris. Then rinse them under running water in a sieve for two minutes.
- Put the beans in a bowl and add four cups of water with a teaspoon of kosher salt. Then, cover and leave it for eight to 24 hours. When the time is reached, drain the beans and rinse again under running water.
- You can also perform a quick soak if you can’t spare the time. Combine the pinto beans with eight cups water and 1½ tablespoons salt. Then, stir until the salt dissolves and boil the mixture for two minutes. Next, turn off the stove and place the lid on the pot, so the pinto beans soak for one hour. And afterward, drain and rinse under running water.
- Transfer the drained pinto beans to a saucepan and add the remaining water and salt. Then, let it simmer at medium-high heat, cover, and lower the heat.
- Cook the beans for 60 to 90 minutes, occasionally stirring every 30 minutes. And when it turns soft and creamy, turn off the stove, drain the beans and serve warm.
More pinto beans ideas can be found here.